Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Olgoi-Khorkhoi


Olgoi-Khorkhoi.

I tried to say the name aloud, but it resulted in laughter and involuntary cleaning of my monitor.

Mongolian Death Worm. Now THAT demands attention!


This is no ordinary worm of doom. The O-K has been known to grow to four feet long.
(Grab your fishing poles -- Nessie, here we come!)

Sorry, I got distracted. Back the the worm.

The nickname is a heads-up as to where we can find him. The Gobi desert of Southern Mongolia to be exact. I have yet to see it for myself, but I am pretty sure I couldn't miss it... being 4 feet long and all.

It lives in the sand (remember the movie Tremors?) and is a reddish color. Although I am pretty sure I wouldn't slow down if I saw a monster worm of any other color heading in my direction.

You don't need to worry about getting too close to it. If it wants you, it will get you. It kills by spitting a poison at you.
Wonderful!

And that ladies and gentleman is your Crypto-Fun-Fact for the week.

4 comments:

  1. My daughter was obsessed with the death worm for a whole summer we followed an expedition on the hunt for it. Pretty good for a 7 year old! She wants to be a cryptozoologist when she grows up.
    This was a funny read!
    Thank you!
    Tracy from facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it and THANK YOU for letting me know! I will have more crypto-friendly posts soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, did you create that pic? It's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish! It was actually sent to me a while back and I finally had a reason to use it.

    ReplyDelete